Sunday, February 16, 2020

Morning Book Club with Students

I was looking for a way to connect with more of students and to continue to grow my students love of reading. I decided to try a morning book club, and it was the best idea ever! I was hoping I would have at least 5-10 students and over 20 showed up the first time! It has continued to grow.
This has easily become my favorite day of the week. Students and I look forward to it all week.
I'm sharing the steps I took to get my book club up and running in case you're interested in starting one too!

1. Introduce the idea-
I started with a poll (using menitmeter) to see if students were even introduced. I didn't share a lot of information at first, I used this poll as a way to get them interested and want to know more.

2. Pump up the idea-
After the poll, I talked up book club and how awesome it was going to be. :) I shared that we would meet before school, discuss the book, play some games, and just have a bunch of fun together!

3. Pick a book-
I wanted our first book to be a short read, so we could get through it fairly quickly. I didn't want book club with one book to drag on forever. I chose a book that was available on Scholastic. That way parents would be able to easily purchase the book for a reasonable price. Also, think about a book that would be appealing to most of your students.


3. Share information with parents-
I sent an introduction letter and permission slip to parents both with a physical copy and emailed them a copy. I also shared about our upcoming Book Club via my weekly video newsletter. I wanted to make sure I got the information out via many channels.  Click here to view my letter and make a copy if you want to tweak it.


4. Buy books-
I ordered the books on Scholastic for the students that placed that way. I also let students know they could check the book out at the library or buy on Amazon. If money was an issue, I worked with students to help them get the book.

5. Student Bookmarks and dates-
I created bookmarks for each student that was going to be in Book Club. The bookmark included our meeting dates and chapters to read for each meeting.
Click here to grab a copy to edit:

6. Email parents-
Then, I emailed just the parents with students in Book Club sharing the dates and times for our meetings.

7. Meet UP-
Finally, we met for our first meeting. We circled up and discussed the book. I went way BETTER than I could have imagined. Students were so engaged with the book and each other. I was so proud of their questions, discussion, and engagement. We ended each meeting with a game, usually Kahoot!

8. CELEBRATE-
After our first book club, the students asked if we could celebrate. Parents contributed, and we were able to have the best time. We even created a life motto, like one we learned from the book!

We are ready for book #2!! 
Let me know if you have any questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...