Sunday, March 24, 2019

Celebrating Students' Writing


This has been my first year to teach 4th grade writing, and I knew I wanted to keep writing engaging and fresh for my students all year! I don't want them leaving 4th grade saying all we did was practice for writing STAAR but rather talking about all the fun things we did. While I do celebrate student success in writing throughout our units, I like to have a big celebration at the end of the unit and highlight out students' work! Even if you don't teach writing, I think you can tweak a few of the ideas for your content and at least try out the tech features.

Here are a few examples of the way we have CELEBRATED writing together:


1. Author Headshots and Bios
Every author needs their own headshot and biography! So to celebrate our launching unit, students had their photograph taken and then created an Author Bio page with their headshot. This page is something we have used over and over this year. It can easily be printed and attached to any writing they complete. Finally, they shared their Author Bio page on Flipgrid for classmates to hear. This was also a great relationship builder as it helped us get to know each other better at the beginning of the year.
(Click the photo to grab your own copy.)

2. Roll out the Red Carpet
Always a class favorite is walking the red carpet! Simply roll out some red butcher paper and put some yellow stars on top and you have yourself a runway. Students walk the red carpet, stop in front of the flashing sign, and share their stories on stage with the microphone. What's better than celebrating your writing feeling like a STAR?!
(Click the photo for the flashing sign)

3. "Espresso" Yourself with a Sip and See
At one of my Model Teacher Meetings this year, a teacher from Swenke shared their hot chocolate celebration. I loved it and tweaked it a little bit. We had a hot chocolate bar complete with yummy hot cocoa, whipped cream, marshmallows, and sprinkles!
While students were "sipping" their hot cocoa, they were also "seeing" others writing. I would play music and students would read and leave specific compliments on the Sip and See page. We rotated 5-6 times and then ended back at their seats to enjoy comments from their peer. So delicious and engagement was at an all time high and not just a sugar high:)!!
(Click both photos to make a copy)


4. Listening Ears
I found the website Vocaroo and loved that you could record anything and then create a QR code with it. How cool it is for students to be able to share their writing in their OWN voice with anyone! All students recorded their writing on Vocaroo, created their own QR code, printed one and embedded one on their cover. We placed our QR codes around the room and enjoyed our peers reading to us! 
(Click the photo to make a copy)


5. Virtual Bookshelf
I learned about WriteReader from Traci Piltz on Twitter and once I checked it out I knew we needed to use it for publishing. I love how students can sign in with Google Classroom, and they loved all the features of the website. Once students complete a book, it gets added to the classroom bookshelf. 
After scanning the bookshelf and reading at least 5 books, students headed to DotStorming to leave their reflections and to collaborate with each other. 
(Click the photo to grab a copy)
A look at our virtual bookshelf for literary essays!

How do you CELEBRATE student writing in your classroom? I'd love to add more ideas to my repertoire! Happy Writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...