Sunday, March 31, 2019

Tips for Staying Energized


I love teaching! I believe it is my calling, and I love what I get to do each day! 
With that being said, teaching can also be a very stressful and demanding job. I think it is important we find ways that help us keep our lights burning for our students and colleagues. 

Here a few tips for you that help me stay energized as a teacher;

1. Learn and Try New Things- #lifelonglearner
I always want to learn new ways to improve my teaching and strategies that will help keep my students be engaged and successful. Don't be afraid to try new things in your classroom, it's great for students to see us try, fail, make adjustments, and try again. Trying new things put a pep in my step and helps me from getting stuck in a rut! Where do I learn new things? Professional development books, podcasts, colleagues, EdCamps, FRESHthoughtEDU and a lot of other new things I'm trying these days stem from Twitter! Which leads right into tip number 2!

2. Participating in a Twitter chat-
Twitter is such a simple and easy tool for following great educators that share amazing ideas and resources. Take that a step farther and participate in a Twitter chat. I have been apart of many Twitter chats, and I always leave feeling reenergized, reminded of my why and full of new ideas I want to try. (Remember tip #1 :)  It's amazing what surrounding yourself with other passionate educators will do for you! Here are two great chats to start with- #cfisdchat on Mondays, #txed on Wednesdays! Let me know if you want a reminder. :)

3. Remembering Kids Deserve It-
Remember WHY you teach, for me it's the students and I want to make a difference in their lives! I want to help them know and believe they are important and can do anything they put their mind to. I love having fun with them and making learning come alive. Whether it be wearing a costume, planning a theme day, baking elephant poop muffins, taking a small group selfie; all these actions make my students smile and that makes me fill with joy! Stop and remind yourself of all you have accomplished with your students and celebrate even the small things!

4. Make time for YOU-
In order to stay energized and give it your all in teaching, you must take care of yourself. I feel better if I work out before school each day, have quiet time to read my Bible and pray, and get a massage once a month. It helps me relax, unwind, and reset. I make time to spend time with my family and friends and do things I love that do not involve school. Everyone needs a break. You do what you need to for yourself, so that you are able to put your #hartandsoul into all you do at school!

Please share with me, what helps you stay energized throughout the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...