Tuesday, June 25, 2019

First Week Feels Scoot


I try my best to get to know my students, let them know I care about them, and that they have a voice in our classroom the first week of school. One way I do this is by finding out how they feel and allow them to express themselves and feelings. We know students can have many different feelings and emotions that first week.

While introducing and explaining our blended learning rotations at the end of the week, I incorporate a First Week Feels Scoot. It has questions for students to respond to about how they are feeling. It gives me a peak into their thoughts of our classroom, school, and tap into their social emotional side. And I love to get them up and moving! Post the scoot around the room and students can go to the questions in any order. There is also a recording sheet you can print front to back or any piece of paper works fine.

I do ask studens to write down their answers on paper for two reasons; as a writing teacher it gives me insight into their strengths, and I want to be able to respond to their thoughts and questions in my own handwriting.  I believe their is power in personalized, handwritten notes and hope to make a connection with them right away.

Grab a copy of First Week Feels Scoot here. Feel free to make it your own.

What activities do you do the first week of school to help you get to know your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...