Thursday, June 13, 2019

Bold School- Book Review


I just finished reading Bold School by Weston Kieschnick, and I highly recommend you add it to your summer reading list!! His book is an engaging, fun, and easy read, but one that still leaves you self reflecting and challenging yourself!

I found myself saying YES! and AMEN! over and over as I read Bold School. "Blended" instruction + "Old" school wisdom = BOLD

Blended Learning can be scary and feel overwhelming, but I love how easy he makes it to implement blended learning in your classroom. He begins the book with breaking down the Bold School Framework that will be used with all of the high yield instructional strategies he shares. ALL teachers can benefit from this book!



The Instructional Strategies covered in the book are:
1. Interactive Video Method
2. Questioning/Socratic Seminar
3. Vocabulary Programs- One of my favorite chapters, especially since we are ALL literacy teachers!
4. Direct Instruction
5. Peer Tutoring
6. Concept Mapping
7. Worked Examples
8. Self-Assessment
9. Reciprocal Teaching
10. Problem Solving Teaching
11. Spaced vs Mass Practice 

Each chapter explains the strategy, has real life examples, tips for teachers, questions to make you think and reflect your craft, and Tech tools to move to Blended Learning in your classroom. I love the focus he also puts on rigor and relevance and pushing our students to Quadrant D. 


"Becoming a Blended Learning Master means knowing how to use technologies to move toward academic goals." Kieschnick makes this seem like an easy task and left me feeling empowered to teach others to do the same.

Do yourself and your students a favor
and go read and apply Bold School wisdom to your classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...