Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Using Surveys to help you Reflect on Our Year



As another year comes to a close, I like to spend time reflecting on what went well this year and what I can improve, tweak, or change for next year.  

As I reflect on my goals, I also like to gather feedback using surveys from my parents and students. Surveys are a great way to elicit feedback anonymously. 

I always send parents a link to the survey the last month of school asking them for their thoughts on classroom activities, communication, academic learning, flexible seating, and any thoughts they would like to share with me regarding the year and their child.

Since you can't please everyone and some parents think I have the power to make decisions regarding the campus, I analyze the the data and look for trends and areas in which I can improve. 

This year, thanks to Lauren Bohm, I also had my students fill out a survey about my subject area, classroom activities, classroom culture, flexible seating, their feelings, and thoughts. My 4th graders did a great job of expressing themselves, and I loved their honest responses. 
Google Forms and Survey Monkey are both easy ways to create and send surveys for feedback. I love how you can look at results both individually and as a summary. 

The main take away from me from both my parent and student surveys is that building relationships is the most important!!! Which I knew! :) It was the main thing students and parents commented on. Take the time to get to know your students, their interests, and what makes them unique and then find ways to highlight and let them know you remember and care!!

Five Reflections from my 13th year as an educator:
1. Relationships are still Key
2. Writing Celebrations make writing relevant and are fun for students- I will definetly continue this!
3. Classroom community is best created spending time together discussing real world issues and allowing students to share what is happening in their life- MAKE time for it!
4. Blended Learning has transformed my classroom- I also want to improve and work on relevance and rigor of the activites students are completing 
5. Students crave for read alouds and independent reading- Grant this wish for them and allow them time to just READ

Make sure to take time for yourself this summer! Relax and recharge for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...