Sunday, April 14, 2019

Show Students You Care


I believe teaching is all about building relationships. I wrote about Inspiring and Motivating students here, but I also wanted to share ways I show students I care about them. Students, and even us as adults, work harder, take risks, and put in more effort for those we love and know care about us. I try my very hardest to show students how much I care about them and love them everyday!

Here are some easy ways to show students you care:

1. Daily Check In
I got stole this idea from my friend Kelsey during CyFair EdCamp. Each day students come in either in the morning or when we switch classes and they check in using a Google Form. They let me know how they are feeling, goals they have for the day, or anything else they want me to know. I love how quick and easy it is for me to read. I simply open Google Forms on my read their responses,  and then I have specific things I can check in with them about or ask questions. I love being able to remind them about their goals and motivate them to achieve them throughout the day. This has really help build my relationships with students and for them to open up to me.
 Click the picture to see my simple check in from!

2. Handwritten Messages
Who doesn't love to receive a handwritten note? I like to tie some of my notes to a theme and give all students a special note, but it can also be a simple post it or note. It's the thought and message that counts!
You Light Up our Classroom
Each student received a light bulb from me with how they light up our classroom!

You Fill Our Class with Love
Each student received a heart from me sharing something I love about them!

STAAR notes
Each student received a bookmark of encouragement and reminder that they are what matter!

3. Lunch Bunches
Have lunch with your students if you can, it is another great way to build relationships. I have Lunch Bunch Fridays and invite different students each week to come have lunch with me in the classroom. We laugh, take selfies, tell jokes, and get to know each other better. So. Much. Fun!

4. Support them Outside of School or AT School
If you are able go see your students in extracurricular activities. It means so much to them if you make it to a game, play, race, competition, recital, or whatever it may be. You can also play a game of Horse, swing, or Bananagrams at recess. One of the best ways to show you care is just to show up and be present! 

5. Hugs and High Fives
At the end of everyday, I sing to my students (yes, sing) and before they leave I give them a hug or high five. I want them to know I care about them and love them no matter what has happened that day. It ends all of our days on a positive note looking forward to tomorrow!

                             I do believe students know if you are being authentic, so be real, be YOU! 
                              Finish the year strong and show your students YOU CARE about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Celebrating Student Writing

  "If it is worth learning, it is worth celebrating." I have always believed in celebrating students in big and small ways. I rece...